20101003

The K1 Visa Petition: How it came to be

The first time I heard about fiancé visa was from my previous country manager and that was during the early 2008. Me and Honey at that time was in the love zone already, still fresh – pero long distance lagi. I haven't really thought about the fiancé visa that much; all I know was there's a possibility for a petition if Honey and I survive the long distance relationship, but I didn't expect it was sooner.

When Honey was about to go back to the US from his first vacation here in 2008, he said he will immediately file for American Citizenship when he gets back so he can work on my petition. The petitioner should be an American citizen first to be eligible to file for a K1 petition, so Honey had to work his ass hard and prayed for too much patience I bet as he had to work from scratch. At first I thought he'd just file for a petition for me because he was moved a lot to the major major level when he saw me crying for the last two days before his departure date, haha! As I recall, I really felt the world was closing in on me that time and it was unusually harder to breathe, and I witnessed how Honey's heart went out for the cry baby those last two days. The moment he applied for US citizenship was the commencement of what seemed to be a very very very long wait just so I could be there with him. The time table for the US citizenship application till the moment Honey had his oath taking was approximately 3-5 months. It was on March 2009 that he officially became a naturalized American citizen, and a month after he filed for K1 Visa petition on my behalf. I was even hesitant to agree to file the petition on April 2009 as I needed some time to prepare my Mom emotionally, so Honey gave me until May and filed the K1 petition at the USCIS. Too much excitement at that time, but too much overlooked essentials also. On August 2009, during Honey's vacation here in the Philippines, we received an email that the K1 petition was denied due to insufficient documents. Why were we denied on the first try? I'll share on my next post. Still have work to do. =)

No comments: